Monday, September 22, 2008

The pig snuck unto my room again….


Yes you heard me right, my family has a couple of pigs that they let run around the hou
se and the little squirt snuck unto my room once I opened the door to my room. I am finally adjusting to life here. There is definitely a difference in the time schedule here-‘Nica Time’ as we would like to refer to it as. Things are very chill and relaxing. A meeting at 1:00 pm usually means 1:30. The weather right now is absolutely gorgeous. I go to bed with about 70-80 deg F temps and it is usually around 80-90 deg F during the day. It has been raining a lot which really makes for a mess as my whole yard is dirt and mud. My house has dirt floors so I can’t really take off my shoes when it rains, so I just add to the dirt on the floor with new wet dirt!
I am now really enjoying the cold water bucket showers in the morning! Every morning I wake up, go to the kitchen well and crank up a bucket of water, then go outside to my bano and shower. There is a opening in the trees by the bano, so I get a really neat view of the facing mountain while I shower!
I am currently on my fourth of eleven weeks of training. We have been learning some very important sustainable practices for agriculture and also how to add value to simple products. We have learned how to can fruits and vegetables, make jam out of the million different fruits, make yogurt, make
soy milk from soybeans, then take the meat left over and make soy burgers, use some of the plants for medicinal uses, and make candy out of fruit. On more of the ag side-we learned how to make a good compost pile using only what we have around us, how to ferment horse/cow manure, sugar, and tree leaves to make a really great natural fertilizer and herbicide. We have been planting our own garden with radishes, cucumbers, and a couple of other medicinal plants which help raise the protein level is peoples diet. We just started a small tree nursery (vivero) with 50 seeds that will grow into small saplings which we can then transplant to help the deforestation issue that is so prevalent. All of these projects we are doing with our families and the local community so they can learn also and implement the practices themselves once we leave-which is our whole goal-to be sustainable!!
I love hearing from you all. I will you all the best and I appreciate all of the prayers!
-Wes-

No comments: